Ashish's Note

Over the past few years, I learnt a lot and get fond of Microsoft Technlogy. From The basics of Active Directory to the high end troubleshooting and disaster recovery, to the VPN configuration, Its being a good time for me as I got lots of opportunities to learn and grow.

In 2004, I got hired by "Microsoft" as a full time employee in its GTSC located in Bangalore. I experienced hardcore troubleshooting on real time issues as a big challange and very very intersting, which gave me vibrant knowledge of Operating System Troubleshooting, Active Directory, Clustering, Performance, Disks, Terminal Server, Printing, STOP Codes and BSOD screens.

My Fantastic past experience on HP/MSCS cluster, Server Hardware and System Administration, boosted my skills to take charge of customer's problem and make me to deal with the issues till the resolution.


Today working with Perot Systems, I am using this Blog to contribute my knowledge to the society and to make every individual who need directives to grow in IT field.

Lets post your views and questions you have, hit my brain to let it mentor the best possible IT solutions and career options.

Yours,

Ashish Sharma.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

How we Understand a Cluster

This is the good one I found on one of the MVP blog:

Clustering terms made easy
Clusters are Highly Available and should never be considered Fault Tolerant.

Highly Available = is when I come anytime my wife calls me.

Fault Tolerant = Marriage.

You don't want to be married to you SQL/Exchange Cluster :)

You do want it around whenever you need it though.
Active/Active = when your cluster is too busy for its own good.

Active/Passive = one worker, one manager, you decide which is which.

Node = Clustered computer, could also be the worker who sits in a cube, not to be confused with Dude.

Virtual Server = this is kind of like be on a telecom at work, only you are calling in from Hawaii and nobody knows.

Quorum = Cluster=Quorum, Quorum=Clustering.

Failover = the only time at work that you can fail and still be a hero.

Failback = great way to get fired, let your server failover without you controlling it (Don't confuse with the above term).

Cluster = when it fails, also known as a Cluster Fork, only fork is spelled funny - u c what I mean?

0 comments: